Monday, May 25, 2009

To the End of The Earth: Our Epic Journey to the North Pole and the Legend of Peary and Henson

To the End of the Earth: Our Epic Journey to the North Pole and the Legend of Peary and Henson by Tom Avery is a fantastic journey, and makes me feel as if I could do it, even when I know that I cannot. Tom is a support of Peary and believes that he made it to the pole, and wants to prove that he did. So he sets up to try, and with a team of less than hard working sled dogs and 4 other explores, he attempts to recreate the experience as well as someone without any igloo building experience can. They see their share of peril, and strife, with their trip to the Artic Ocean, but at the same time provide support to a group of people back home and motivate them in a way that peer training seminars and experiences never could. I found the whole adventure fantastic and would get lost in the book wherever I was. I found myself refreshed reading such a cold book in the hot sun of a black car. Anticipating the upcoming adventure I was looking for excuses to read the book. It made me think about working on my own writing, in its thoroughness and in the way that Tom Avery seems to capture his own feelings and the adventures of him and his fellow travelers. I look forward to Tom Avery going on and writing about more adventures, and the changing adventure and explorer experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment